Friday, March 16, 2012

Recap with Pictures!

Greetings from Kigali!!  
The internet has been either very slow or just not working... that is why things have been quiet from Kigali!  THE BIG NEWS FIRST~~~~~The wedding update:  LOOKS LIKE I CAN STAY!!  MY NIECE MAILED OUR WEDDING LICENSE!!! (Thanks, Julie)
Now it will be up to the officials in the government here!  Bruce is so happy that he doesn't have to foot-the-bill for a big wedding!  HA!

Let's try the pictures again.... Heather tells me they just take a long time to download.
Since life is a lot slower here... maybe i'll have enough patience to wait 'em out!  Before I start doing the pictures i just want to say that i took a long walk around the neighborhood this morning... only to find 1 other white (muzungu) person... a mom with a little girl.  I must have looked suspect to her because she wouldn't even speak.  However... Every African worker on all the red streets.. outside the walls and inside the walls tried to speak...whether in French, Kinyarwanda, or broken English.

I think the privacy of the walled houses is nice.... but the isolation from any other neighbors is strange.  Security is what they call it and i suppose they are right, but all these big beautiful houses and you don't see anyone in them or even around.  So, contrary to me knowing everyone here... it is just the opposite.  Well, i might get to know all the workers... that are continually singing gospel songs or hymns.  Yesterday all afternoon a roofer kept singing "Guide Me oh..Thou Great Jehovah".  No, not in English... but the tune was the same. So, I hope to give you some more glimpses of life here... Text first, pictures, second..  I think that might work better!  Let's try!

I have now been here 2 weeks.  Bruce had me drive him to the airport to get him off to Kenya.  I couldn't go because the officials have my passport.  Anyway.... it was my first long drive with a stick and a Land Cruiser... I made it but I'll have to say my nerves are still on edge.  (and there really wasn't any traffic at 5:30).

On the way back we (Innocent and I) picked up 6 little ones walking over 3 miles to go to primary school.. AND they PAY to go to school... Many children don't go here because they can't afford it. School starts at 7:00am... so most of the kids are leaving their homes before 6am.  Anyone want to complain about school in the States now?
WOW-- We are so blessed.

So hopefully now, an update with pictures!  Love to you all!
Flying over Greece in the Winter Time on the way to Rwanda

The Walls!   Oh, the Walls!


Another barrier?  Yes the internet connection.  I think tonight i will go to a place 
that has a better connection and see if i can a few more pictures to you.  These 2--- took 1 hour and 10 min. and the next two tried to download for an hour and then just disappeared.  Wow!  Patience?  I didn't know the meaning of the word. 
More later today or right now....  IT'S WORKING SUDDENLY!!





Our Little Red Street!!  All other soil here is black.
 Only the roads are red and very bumpy!



Our Wonderful House!

Innocent, our terrific Houseboy (age 30) in front of our wall!

Some pictures from the Market
Yes!  We have some Bananas

Live chickens to take home and kill and dress!
We didn't get any.... in case you are wondering.
Lots of people and lots of food!

Colorful veggies and outfits!

The Sawmill


One of the furniture makers.... The Sander.. or the Sandman!


Innocent and Lionel laughed and laughed after I said how much i liked this furniture.
 They said this is the "simple man's furniture"!  I said,
Well, now you know who you are dealing with!

More carpenters!  Going there today to have some furniture made.

Hope this gives you a little "picture" of where we are and what life is like!
xoxoxo from  Margie from Rwanda

2 comments:

  1. Your not going to eat any chicken? I thought you were a farmer. I couldn't kill it either. Would Innocent do that for you? Fresh chicken you will be eating the way God intended you to eat. of course you won't like the chicken when you come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this update, mom! Glad the pics uploaded for you. It was great to talk on the phone yesterday; oh the technology! I really do hope we get to visit sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete