Thursday, June 14, 2012

Wednesday in Dortmund!

After another great breakfast we start tromping through the city again! 
Uschi and I are having a ball.... shopping everyday.  Since I usually do most of my shopping on the internet...this has really been fun.  Reiner drops us off each morning.

The carnival is coming to town this weekend!
McDonald's and TKMaxx line the street!
Gram, I didn't find the same scissors, but i did find the store where
we bought the ones you liked. They don't make them anymore.. but I
found something I think you will like. 'Member this store, Bruce? WMF!
And then it was market day.  A little different from Kigali.
Not nearly as many people and they all have coats on.
This dried fruit stand was amazing.
Waffles, Bruce...

 Lots of flowers!

 Amazing that there are so few people here.  
Everything was wonderful!!!

Time for a coffee break!
 Another beautiful case of goodies.

We were two of the younger "old" people in this classic coffee shop.



Then back on the shopping route and into the back
door of the Thier Galerie.





 Now you get to see the inside!


 Yes, Tommy Hilfiger!  
 An ice cream buffet... crazy with options! 

 Elizabeth, this picture is for you... since you have
so many of these guys!  I got a hug from
build-a-bear himself! 

Look familiar?
 A view from one corner of the mall.
These teens had just finished their last day of school
and this was their celebration time....It was fun talking with them.
 Soccer is Big here! 

I found this cute couple in the mall!

The Mall is BIG here!
 BIGGER...
 BIGGEST!!!  Hard to imagine this in downtown Dortmund.
 
         A tribute to the new Underground!

After our great time shopping, Reiner and Uschi dropped me at "old" University of Dortmund now called TU (Technical University) Dortmund.  I was going to visit Sebastian...Prof. Engel who was the reason Bruce had the opportunity to be given the Humboldt Scientist Award that took us all to Germany.  Walked through the student center on my way and found a lot of students there studying, talking, etc. Nothing had changed very much.


Please take my picture!


 The typical view outside of many doors.

Too chilly for many to be outside today.

Classes were just out!

New signature--TU!

 Remember this, kids?  Well, today it was my "marker" that helped me
remember where Bruce's office had been and to find Sebastian's office.
After 20 years... it was one of the things i still remembered.





 Sebastian and I had a good visit and then as he was driving me back
to the horse farm.. Maibrit ( sorry if i spelled that wrong) was driving by going
the other direction... so, we wheeled around and had a brief time with her, too!
It was great to see them and fun to hear her energy and excitement about
studying to be a civil engineer. 

 Back home again.... we drove to get some tax free stamps and
found this sweet sight along the way.

 Pictures for the Krogh family.. remember these stores?

This was Wertkauf.... then Walmart after we left and now... Real!  

 It's almost dark when we returned.... but i wanted to stop and
see Charmeur and how he was feeling.  He didn't look
too comfortable. This is the horse that i have the picture of in our family room.
Inside the barn.. some fresh hay.  
Inside the stable area!

"One last scratch before I go back in the stall."

 "AH, that's better!"
 "Ok... it's back to the barn"


And for me... it was back into the apartment... for some dinner, conversation and
watching the last 20 minutes of the Germany / Netherlands soccer game.  Germany won
by 1 goal and it was a great ending to a great day! 

love,
margie

Oh, Brian H!  I think i missed your birthday!  Hope you had a great one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment