Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Opening of the Sudan Embassy in Rwanda

    One of my friends from AIC, Amira, is the wife of the Ambassador of Sudan! 
   So last week when they had the opening of the new Sudan Embassy, Bruce and I 
were invited.  In fact, we were invited to an afternoon, "Cocktail Party".
Knowing that Amira doesn't drink, i was a bit surprised.... but once the party
started I totally understood!  

This is a great picture of Amira and her husband, isn't it?
One of the first times we met was when they were driving
by our house... looking for a place to live.
We happened to be at the gate and had a short chat with them.
They didn't move into our neighborhood...but one that isn't too
far away.  
They had beautiful pictures of Sudan around the edges of the party area.
We met some very interesting folks! 
Then it was time for the official part of the ceremony to begin.

First the introduction of the Ambassador....
The Ambassador had a few words to say
and then he introduced the next speaker. 
I probably won't get this right..
but I think he was the Foreign Minister of Sudan.

I learned a lot about North Sudan and South Sudan that I didn't know.
Apparently, Rwanda and Sudan have many historical similarities.

Many of the ladies from AIC.. Amira's friends
and mine, too, were present!  Here they are just taking in the speeches.

Who knew there were pyramids in Sudan??
 I think they are called the Nubian pyramids!
Some more of our AIC crew listening to the speakers.
There were folks from all over the world there... After the
Foreign Minister spoke....Louise, The Rwandan Cooperation minister spoke..
Earlier in the day this had happened... Northern Sudan Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ali Ahmed Karti and Louise Mushicibawo signed an agreement that will encourage cooperation between Rwanda & Sudan.  Louise spoke to that end.
 This is, I think, the beginning of a long friendship.  The man with Bruce
is Egbert, the husband of Mavis... another one of my friends here.  Egbert plays
saxophone and he and Bruce are planning to get together to see
if they can make beautiful music together.  (Later in the week
they did get together and had a great time!)

So here are a few from the AIC gang.. 8 women from 8 different countries...But check out their drinks..  Remember when I said this was a "cocktail party"???  Well, I knew they probably wouldn't have cocktails or any alcohol and although this might look like
wine... it isn't.   The official "cocktail drink" of Sudan is Hibiscus juice!  And it was delicious.  Amira dropped off some extra hibiscus leaves today for me to try to make some.  That will be fun...  The time at the opening of the Sudan Embassy was fun, too!

I have to say that I'm not sure what all the ambassadors
do on their assignments, but I know their wives have 
been very influential throughout the Kigali community
and across the country.  

All for now, 
love,
margie

No comments:

Post a Comment