Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Visit to the Village School!

Shortly after we moved here I was sitting outside one day and heard children filling the air with music... Singing, Clapping, and I could just imagine them all Dancing!  It must be a school I thought, but I couldn't see a school anywhere around.  Once i met the kids from church, the mystery was solved.  William attends this school along with a lot of the other kids, too.   So,when William asked me to come visit his school, I walked down to the school and found it  tucked away securely within high walls!  That's why i could never find it!   I talked with the  Headmaster and asked if i could attend a music class.  After asking me all kinds of questions that made me feel like a spy... he said, sure!    

OH, i forgot to tell you that when i came through the gate.. of the school i could barely get to the office.  The kids came in hoards to see the munzungu ( the white person)... and say hello and touch my hands....All ways to greet.  Both their bright eyes and big smiles were just too cute.  

 By the end of these pictures we will get to music class!
 The Rwandan Flag in the center of the school yard.

This is the upper level of the school... 

and here you can see the lower level.  Between 4,000-5,000 students attend here.
The assistant headmaster wasn't sure exactly how many.
 The campus from the far end-- right outside the music classroom.

 Actually, i had taken most of the pictures so far on Sat. when i went to the photography
class that William is in.  He didn't come because he needed to go with his grandfather.  But it was on this day that i met a girl named Linda, from the US that teaches the class and also met the music teacher who just happened to be there. 

 These are a few of Linda's students.  She volunteers here and teaches
at the local University. 





What each classroom looks like... NO resources, NO books.
3-5 students at each beach and the tables are only about a foot wide.
I spoke with an English teacher and he told me that he writes the lesson on the board and the children just copy everything he writes.  I don't even know if they understand what they are writing.  And I cannot comprehend how they can learn each subject.  But the teachers were excited about their jobs and their students. 

 Didn't see in this building.... but this is the computer lab and the
yellow building is the headmaster's office.

 A huge siren went off and each group of children went to the door of a classroom.
But they did not go in.  Only after the teacher had them line up in rows and march in
together did they move. 
The classes gathering.  Note the cloudy skies.. it has been raining a lot
and causing much mud!!



 A class ready to begin the line up! 
 1/2 of the music class!

The other 1/2 !
The teacher had them sing some songs in both languages and then asked if i would sing some songs with them.  Well, since the songs they were doing were very simple in English, with lots of repetition for 9-12 yr olds i thought it would be fun to see what they would do..So.... hold on... we started with
"If you are Happy and You Know it"  moved to the
"Wheels on the Bus".... They loved it.. and even made up verses...It was good to help
them learn English words and they loved the motions and sound effects.  ha!

Then they sang me Shake the Mango Tree..  and that they did.. They were really moving and lots of clapping and swinging hips! Very cute.
My favorite song they did was when the teacher would sing "I'm a teacher" or "I'm a lawyer", or" I'm a business man"..  and all the kids would follow in rhythm after each verse with "It's all because of my education."  Education is the key!  

This is the music teacher.. he asked me if I would take his picture... It was a fun to be with them.  Each class is 40 minutes and the teacher asked me if i would come back next week... It is about a mile walk and another mile back.... but it is worth it.  The only problem on Tues, was the mud.  There were literally places where you just had to walk through the puddles to get down the street.  

As I sat in class enjoying the Incredible Voices and the Perfect Rhythm of the kids singing and clapping,  I couldn't help wonder what we would do in America for music class without music books, instruments, a piano or keyboard, rhythm instruments, individual desks and chairs, etc.  But the joy of music and singing in the room on Tues. superseded any resource or equipment.  I'm anxious to be able to go back again next week!

Anyone have any song suggestions for me to take to class next week?
Thanks for sending ideas!

love,
margie


3 comments:

  1. Sing "head ,shoulder,knees and toes". These pictures are great.

    Love Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got the joy joy joy joy down in my heart!

    ReplyDelete