Thursday, January 16, 2014

Jan takes off for America !!

This blog is about a dear friend that I met in Kigali.
In fact, this is in her honor.. a blog to Jan Miller!

 I met her standing in my driveway one morning--in my robe
because I hadn't yet met the day running….
I saw this woman coming down the street…. Innocent was out trimming the hedges and I was talking to him.
While I did notice Jan… the first thing that caught my eye
about her was the beautiful golden retriever she was 
walking.   

I don't remember who spoke first, but either way
 our new friendship... became my introduction to Kigali.


Up to this point in time I hadn't met very many people.
In fact, I was still getting used to living behind walls
all around the house that made me feel very cut off 
from people or even from friends to be made….

But this day changed everything.  Turned out that Jan was 
a sister in the Lord, a fellow believer and she was married 
to a pastor, named Jack.  She invited me to the Ladies Tuesday 
morning Bible Study,  Aerobics at the Manor and to something 
called the AIC… 
The Africa Internatioal Club.  The rest is history. 

 Her invitations afforded me the opportunity 
to meet so many people from Kigali and
  from all over the world.  She was a real godsend
to me and getting acquainted with so many women
and even some men from other countries, as well 
as many Rwandans.  

The moral of this story is you never know who 
God will lead you to and why.  And how God will use 
you in the life of another!

So even though we knew it might be coming…. that
Jan and Jack would be returning to the States, none of us
were happy about it.  We were happy for them to be able to 
return to their children and grand kids but we knew how much we
would miss them.  They had lived in Africa for the last 12 years
but only a couple of those years in Kigali.  


So our going away party was with some of the ladies from our Bible study group.  Represented was Korea, South Africa, the Netherlands, and America--at a Japanese restaurant. 
 There are some very special ladies around this table and many others who were unable to come. 

Jan, you have been a gift to all of us and I am ever so grateful for you and for all that you mean to me! 

Thank you for your faithfulness to the Lord, 
for being not only my friend but my go-to person and 
for all the encouragement and car rides, too! 

Knowing that our relationship will not end
we are trusting that we see each other again
someday soon… Even though we are as far as the East 
is from the West in the States..  

Thank goodness for phones, email and Skype!  

Love you, Jan! 
and miss you, too. 
margie





No comments:

Post a Comment